Staying hydrated is vital as temperatures climb into the 90s
The temperatures are forecasted to rise close to 100 degrees in the coming days, so hydration is more important now than ever. The key to hydration is to have plenty of water in your system all the time. As a general rule of thumb, experts recommend drinking at least eight glasses of water throughout the day, though the actual volume of water needed can vary by individual. Louisville Water Company has some tips to keep you hydrated and healthy especially as it heats up around Louisville.
- Drink before you’re thirsty. By the time you feel thirsty, your body has lost up to five cups of water. Drinking water throughout the day is key to keeping hydrated.
- Schedule drinking water. To keep drinking water throughout the day, setting reminders can help. Have a glass of water when you wake up, with all snacks and meals, and before you go to bed. Or have a small glass of water on the hour.
- Grab a reusable water bottle. Keep a reusable bottle with you and ‘fill, drink, and repeat’ throughout the day. Our drinking water, Louisville Pure Tap™, is the best value to stay hydrated, costing less than a penny for a gallon.
- Drink water when sweating. When you are sweating, your body is losing water. Drink plenty of Pure Tap before, during and after exercise.
- Hunger vs. thirst. If you feel hungry, it might mean that your body is thirsty. It’s easy to confuse being thirsty with hunger. Drinking water also flushes out by-products of fat breakdown, has zero calories, and helps raise your metabolism.
Also keep a close eye on children, as they heat up faster than adults when the outside temperature is higher than their body temperature. Be sure to have plenty of Pure Tap available for them when it’s hot.
How do you know if you are hydrated? Check the color of your urine. The more transparent it is, the more hydrated you are. When in doubt, consult a doctor about the recommended water intake specifically for your body.
This is also the last week for Louisville Water’s Hydration Challenge. By following our Hydration Challenge event page on Facebook, participants are eligible to win exclusive prizes and will receive daily tips, facts, and encouragement to keep hydration always on their mind.