In 1919, Louisville Water Company, under the direction of then president Sebastian Zorn, built the Crescent Hill Swimming Pool. The idea for the pool was from Zorn, who wanted to create one of the “most beautiful and attractive spots in the country.” The pool was located directly across from the Crescent Hill Reservoir, where the coagulation basins sit today. The pool was a very popular spot, having 40,000 swimmers in its first year. Admission was 25 cents for adults and 15 cents for children. The price included a bathing suit, locker and a towel.
The company allowed government employees to use the pool for $1 during World War II. Fighter pilots flying into Bowman Field were allowed a private swim.
The pool stopped operation in 1951 to make room for additional treatment facilities. There was much public outcry about the closing of the pool, and after some debate, the city of Louisville decided to build five community swimming pools, including the present Mary T. Meagher pool near the Crescent Hill Reservoir.