Mayor Greg Fischer’s annual “Give A Day” week of service began Sat., Apr. 14 and lasts through Sun., Apr. 22. There are many opportunities for families, clubs, schools and individuals to get involved with projects ranging from collecting canned goods to painting a house. Current volunteer opportunities are listed at MyGiveADay.com.
Louisville Water provided water coolers and bio-compostable cups for Brightside/Passport Health’s Spring Community-Wide Cleanup on April 14, and we will participate in the WE Day event on Apr. 17 at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.
Also during this time, Louisville Metro is kicking off its Building Our Blocks (BOB) initiative for 2018. BOB brings together Louisville Metro agencies with community organizations to take steps to ‘minimize blight, deter crime, beautify neighborhoods and build hope — one block at a time.’
Each event involves volunteers from about 15 agency service providers, such as Louisville Water, Louisville MSD, Louisville Metro Police Department, Louisville Fire Department, and Public Works, who made personal visits with hundreds of households to inform them of the services available in the city.
This year, the program is concentrating its efforts in the Russell neighborhood, giving the residents multiple visits throughout the season.
Louisville Water provides the following:
- On-site services, including testing for toilet leaks (a common cause for high bills) and information on how to conduct a toilet leak test using basic food coloring
- Reporting of loose meter lids
- Requesting of tests for lead in drinking water where indoor plumbing may be questionable
- General resource information such as where to go for assistance with a bill
- General clean-up assistance
- Louisville pure tap® reusable water bottles
- Bright yellow water shut-off tags
BOB events take place on Friday mornings every other month from April to October. BOB was based on similar successful efforts in Buffalo, New York.
In September, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer recognized the BOB team at the 2017 Celebration of Performance Improvement and Civic Innovation. For more information on the program, visit Louisvilleky.gov/government/building-our-blocks.