Louisville Pure Tap® plays a key role in several events
The Kentucky Derby is Louisville’s time to shine, but we all know, it is so much more than simply the “greatest two minutes in sports” if you live in the Derby City! There is a month full of festivities leading up to the first Saturday in May and it takes a lot of work to bring them to life.
Louisville Water Executive Vice President Dave Vogel would know. He has served on the Kentucky Derby Festival (KDF) Board for the past eight years.
“We have lots of folks that support KDF’s activities. Our employees at Allmond (Avenue Distribution Center) go above and beyond to make sure the water is ready for the mini/MARATHON water stops. Keith Medley has fabricated several water fill stations. I call them the “Magical Medley Machines.” They allow groups to fill cups at the water stops more efficiently.”
Medley, the Gate Shop Mechanic, even went the extra mile to design them with a Louisville Water ‘look and feel.’
“We made sure we got the blue handles and everything for that reason,” Medley said.
Louisville Water employees work countless hours behind the scenes to keep things flowing at the Kentucky Derby Festival events and at Churchill Downs, so thousands of locals and visitors can enjoy Louisville Pure Tap®.
Did you know Louisville Water…?
- Performed extensive valve checks as well as fire hydrant inspections and flushing exercises in the areas at and surrounding Churchill Downs to ensure optimal pressure and flow rates
- Provided coolers for Festival Unveiled on March 16
- Provided Pure Tap at Tour de Lou water stops on April 16
- Volunteers annually at the KDF Hole-in-One Contest
- Installed equipment to ensure quick and easy access to Pure Tap at 10 hydration stations for the April 29 KDF mini/MARATHON runners AND collected water samples days beforehand to verify outstanding quality!
- Dozens of Louisville Water employees volunteered to hand out water at the hydration station outside Louisville Water on race day
- Inspected the KDF mini/MARATHON race route to ensure any maintenance or repair work was completed prior to race day and that all meter lids are secured to keep the runners safe
- Set up water troughs at the Pegasus Parade for the horses to enjoy Pure Tap at the beginning and end of the route on April 30
- Provides water service at KDF WineFest on May 2
- Keeps Louisville Water crews on standby in case they need to respond to an emergency or immediate need at Churchill Down on Thurby, Oaks, and Derby
Vogel has participated with several committees and events over the years including the hole-in-one, mini/MARATHON, Thunder over Louisville, WineFest, Pegasus pins (program), and Fest-a-Ville.
“The weeks leading to the Derby represent a huge effort and I put in a ton of time working events. By the time Derby gets here, I am totally worn out!” Vogel said.
Louisville Water is proud to deliver high-quality Pure Tap every day to nearly a million customers and is thrilled to share it with all the visitors in town for our city’s premier events!