By Jay Ferguson, Louisville Water Museum Specialist
Former Louisville Water CEO Greg Heitzman forwarded this rare photograph, circa 1930, of a miniature golf course on the corner of Third and Chestnut Streets. This was the short-lived Henry Clay Golfmoor, surviving only a year or two.
A national miniature golf craze arrived in Louisville in 1930 with several courses built in and around downtown. There was even one in the basement of the Martin Brown Building across Fourth Street from the Brown Hotel.
At least three historic buildings seen in the photo still exist: the Henry Clay on the left, the Madrid on the right, and the taller building in the background appears to be the Starks Building.
Louisville Water’s John L. Huber Building now stands where the block of buildings in the center once were. The small white building to the right of center was a White Castle.
Perhaps on a nice day, some of Louisville Water’s office workers in the old 435 S. Third Street building walked down a couple of blocks for a sack full of sliders and a round of golf.
The second photo below is a view of the area today.