Dangerous heat returns this week. With temperatures forecasted into the upper 90s, local meteorologists are forecasting heat indexes to reach as high as 110 degrees. It is vital for you to stay hydrated in these conditions, especially if you’re spending time outside. We can’t say it enough: fill up those cups with Louisville Pure Tap®! It’s also important to take plenty of rest breaks in air conditioning or shaded areas.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Drink before you’re thirsty. By the time you feel thirsty, your body has lost up to five cups of water.
- Grab a reusable water bottle. Keep a reusable bottle with you. Fill, drink, and repeat throughout the day. Pure Tap is the best value to stay hydrated, costing less than a penny a gallon. You also may want to fill and freeze a plastic water bottle so you can drink refreshing Pure Tap as the ice melts.
- Drink regularly if you’re working in the heat. Drink one cup (8 oz.) every 15-20 minutes.
- Drink water when sweating. Anytime you sweat, your body is losing water. Hydrate before, during, and after exercise.
- Don’t mistake thirst for hunger. It’s easy to confuse the two because sometimes you may feel hungry, but your body is actually thirsty.
- Don’t forget to keep your pets hydrated too!
Benefits of water:
- Helps your body maintain a normal temperature
- Lubricates and cushions joints
- Eliminates bodily waste through perspiration, urination, and bowel movements
Signs of dehydration:
- Dry mouth, tongue, cracked lips
- Extreme thirst
- Dark-colored urine (Check chart below)
- Dizziness and/or headaches
- Trouble concentrating or mental confusion